Friday, February 3, 2012

Groundhogs & Grandpas

Groundhog Day 2/2/2012
Once upon a time, I had a thing for groundhogs.  I found them cute in some chubby rodent sort of way.  Of course I never saw one growing up in FL and when I encountered them in NC they charmed me.  Now that I live in Ohio and the rodents ruined my backyard shed and drove my husband looney, I no longer have an affection for groundhogs and now view them as fat, menacing pests.  Yesterday being Groundhog day, always reminds me of my beloved grandfather, whom was born on Groundhog day.  I think of him for more often than just this one day of the year .... he is in my thoughts often.  My grandfather was such an enormous role model for me and served many roles in my life far surpassing mere ole grandpa status.  It is no surprise that I grew up and married a man very similar to my grandfather.  All the same characterstics are shared; intelligence, sarcastic whit, loyalty, affection, deep emotion, a sense of superiority and innate confidence, respect for tradition.  I regret that my grandfather did not get a chance to know my children; especially Jordan who is very similar to his great grandfather.  Great joy would be had by all if they were able to meet.  I am reminded of this special man when I talk to Jordan and marvel at the wonders of genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment