Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Creativity @ Work

Since the boss has been away (down under in Australia for a month) the cat has had fun making changes/improvements within the branch. This fat cat has taken the opportunity to incorporate customer feedback/suggestions and move some stuff around. I was able to get the paperback romances off loaded from four horrible plexiglas towers onto a range of shelving of exisisting genre shelves. This adjustment allowed for two round tables to move into that area w/ a matching oak bookcase flanked by two reading chairs. I then had three long study tables moved into the space formerly occupied by the two circle tables ... Thereby creating an L shaped study zone. Then I moved All the copy reading chairs, magazine and newspaper stands along with a few side tables to the front garden windows creating a "grumpy ole man" reading area. T he idea was to zone/ designate the areas based on usage. Therefore the laptop/business people can sit together without disturbing the "quite" grumpy ole readers needing to read those darn newspapers. Before these changes it was a mumbled jumbled arrangement and no w,older people just sat anywhere resulting in conflicts ... Now based on the seating the areas are zoned by usage! Very cool on my part! It looks and flows so much better. Customers went straight to the areas and many have expressed pleasure with changes. Ha, no design or archetical degree needed to make such improvements. The best part was how I got ALL the staff bought into the idea ... They were all engaged excited, consulted, empowered and everyone of them had a renewed spark in their eyes. Each one of them brought improvements and suggestions that just made my original ideas even better. It was truly a wonderful thing to execute and many times I had to retrain them for their enthusiasm to take action was so intense. We proved together we can do anything. I will post some pictures next ... So we have a visual. So over the past three weeks I have expended a lot of creative energy within the realm of my work environment. Living my new year resolution to the max!

No comments:

Post a Comment